Something Sinister Behind Nigerian Government’s Decision to Remove Chief Justice

CJN Onnoghen Again Shuns Tribunal, Buhari Govt Asks Him To Resign

BY CHECKPOINTCHARLEY on 22. JANUARY 2019

cjn-onnoghen
Justice Walter Onnoghen


The Government of President Muhammadu Buhari has asked the Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Walter Onnoghen to resign from office.

This was disclosed on Tuesday by Aliu Umar, the government prosecutor on resumption of the controversial trial of the CJN for allegedly failing to declare some of his assets when he was sworn-in.

In his open address at the Code of Conduct Tribunal, Umar also said a letter to that effect has been sent to Onnoghen, wondering whether he had received it or not.

Meanwhile, Mr. Onnoghen shunned again the tribunal as he was not present when the CCT resumed at 10:20 a.m.

Wole Olanipekun, a senior lawyer leading a team of over 50 defence counsels for Mr Onnoghen, told the court that his client was absent because of the cases that were instituted against the tribunal’s proceeding.

Recall that a federal high court ruled last week that Mr Onnoghen’s trial be suspended, but a school of thought sympathetic with the government argues that the order is of no effect since federal high courts are not superior to the CCT. According to them the tribunal is only bound to obey orders from the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.

protesters. against cjn trial

Meanwhile dozens of protesters stormed the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) in Abuja, demanding discontinuance of the infamous trial of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.

Recall that the CCT had on January 14 fixed January 22 for hearing in the six counts of false assets declaration brought against Mr. Onnoghen by the Code of Conduct Bureau.

Leave a Reply