- We forgive in obedience to God (Matthew 6:14-15; Romans 12:18).
- We forgive others to gain control of our lives from hurt emotions (Genesis 4:1-8).
- We forgive so we won’t become bitter and defile those around us (Hebrews 12:14-15).
Benefits of letting go of hurt:
- Healthier relationships
- Greater spiritual and psychological well-being
- Less anxiety, stress and hostility
- Lower blood pressure
- Fewer symptoms of depression
- Stronger immune system
- Improved heart health
- Higher self-esteem
The blessings of forgiveness
When we forgive, our hearts open up to God’s forgiveness (Matthew 6:15); it puts us in a receiving position when we pray (Mark 11:24, 25); it helps us become spiritually fruitful (John 15:10, 12, 5); and we will know that we have passed from spiritual death to being reconciled with our heavenly Father when we love each other (1 John 3:14)! When we keep God’s commandments and love one another, we prove that we love Jesus (John 14:21), and we abide in Christ’s love (John 15:10)! What a magnificent blessing forgiveness really is!!!
It is tough, yet possible; the reason it is God’s perfect gift to humanity. I didn’t say best gift. It is a perfect gift.